Open call for a full-time postdoctoral position at Ghent University
A 2-year postdoctoral position for a motivated researcher is opening
in the Institute for Psychoacoustics and Electronic Music (IPEM) at the department of
musicology at Ghent University, Belgium. The work will be carried out in the EmcoMetecca project on “Embodied music cognition and mediation technologies for cultural/creative applications”. The EmcoMetecca project investigates the relation between music and movement, based on measurement of body movements (for example of musicians playing music) and analysis of the characteristics of music.
• A PhD degree in the field of music research or related disciplines
• Strong background in music is recommended
• Mind for empirical research
• Interest in embodiment and user-centred approaches
• Capacity to work in an interdisciplinary environment
• Skills in Academic English writing
• Development of software that links hardware components with real-time
• Analysis of movement data and correlations to audio
• Demonstrations and applications of real-time music and interactive systems
• The development of empirical methodologies for the study of social embodied
• Measurement of sound and movement in social music interaction contexts, using
• Be an active member of the EmcoMetecca executive committee
• Perform academic research at the highest level in the context of the above project
• Write scientific articles and present research results during high level conferences
• Guide PhD students working at IPEM
• Assist in teaching and other supporting tasks
Conditions of employment
• The position is available on a full-time fixed term basis, following all social
regulations of Ghent University.
• You will receive a contract with six months probation. On approval, the contract will
• Ghent University offers a pd1 salary of approximately 1950 Euro net (no seniority) to
2050 Euro net (4 year seniority) per month.
• The start date is flexible and can be as soon as possible.
• Deadline: 31/07/2009
• To apply, following information should be provided to Aagje.Lachaert@UGent.be
o Application letter including (1) description of research experience and interests
and (2) contact information of people who can provide academic references
o List of publications
o submit in attachment 2 representative publications (pdf)